Monday, February 13, 2012

DETOX: Day 5 of 5


This is it, my friends. My last day of detox. If you asked me right this moment, I can't say I'm sad to see it go. This girl is craving some foods...chewable foods, to be precise. In fact, there are so many tasty things I'd like to eat right now, I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out what my first chewable  meal will be on Tuesday. Any thoughts?

Justin, my boss, completed his 10-day detox over the weekend and celebrated with an egg white omelet Sunday morning and a trip to Top of the Hill in Chapel Hill, NC, Sunday afternoon. I'm so proud and amazed at his perseverance! Justin is actually in the middle of trying to drop a little weight, and he lost around 5 pounds during his detox alone! The bulk of that is probably water weight and waste build-up, but those are important nonetheless! Just think about how you might feel if you purged all the junk that sits around in your system!

As for me, I'll weigh in, take a waist measurement, and get a body fat reading tomorrow (Tuesday, February 14) to see my final results! Stay tuned for that info...I cheated a little and stepped on the scale Saturday morning...let's just say I'm pretty excited to see what Tuesday will bring!

Tonight, instead of my normal purple smoothie, I'll be consuming those foods that are normally included in that smoothie in solid form (blueberries, kale, cucumber, etc). This way, my body can slowly adjust and ready itself for normal solid foods tomorrow. If you choose to skip this step and continue to consume detoxifying foods in smoothie form, you may run the risk of having a very upset stomach after your first day or normal eating. 

Along with my numeric results, I'll also be posting my reflections on this 5-day period: what I learned, what I did correctly, what I did incorrectly, etc. I really want this to be a reproducible experiment, one that you can take and modify as needed for yourself. Stay tuned!

DAY 5: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13


TOTAL CALORIC INTAKE: 1002 calories

MEAL #1: WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE AND ALMONDS
  • 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop natural whey protein
  • 1/4 cup almonds 
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
NUTRITION: 350 calories, 17 g carbs, 23 g protein, 23 g fat, 9 g fiber 
 
 
 
MEAL #2: COMBO SMOOTHIE
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup kale
  • 1 cup cucumbers
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1 scoop natural whey protein
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
NUTRITION: 346 calories, 50 g carbs, 25 g protein, 5 g fat, 6 g fiber


SNACK: SMALL BLOOD ORANGE
  • 1 small blood orange
NUTRITION: 70 calories, 6 g carbs, 1 g protein, 0 g fat, 3 g fiber
 


MEAL #3: SOLID DETOXIFYING FOODS
  • 1/2 cup cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup kale
  • 5 strawberries
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup dried cherries
  • 1 cup blueberry acai tea
NUTRITION: 236 calories, 40 g carbs, 4 g protein, .6 g fat, 7 g fiber   (This meal is far too low in calories, and I know that I should eat more, but even though I'm hungry during the day, I haven't had much of an appetite at night lately, and I don't want to force more in.)

Thanks for all of your support and encouragement! Keep a look out for my results!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness how I love you and your blogs. You're awesome and you did so much better on your detox than I did! You were way closer to meeting your caloric intake, you ate more veggies, AND you didn't eat apples! You're incredibly motivating and I hope this your perseverance encourages someone else to jump on the healthy bandwagon. If I can do it, literally ANYone can. Doing this detox with you has taught me quite a bit. 1.) I'm incredibly gluttonous - thank goodness I stand forgiven. Even for things that can sometimes seem insignificant, evidence of our sinfulness is everywhere, but God is good. 2.) I like healthy things more than I thought. Almond milk: good. Almonds: good! Oatmeal: GOOD! Kale: not so much. 3.) Having a partner in crime, or at least some encouragement is vital. Someone like you (positive, encouraging, yet understanding and real) is perfect. 4.) Eating healthier makes you FEEL healthier. 5.) I can do this whole "healthy" thing. It doesn't have to be as extreme as a 5-day liquid detox, but making smarter choices and simple adjustments can make a difference. I really hope people see that you're trying to reach out to everyone and not just the uber-fit. Couch potatoes like me can learn so much from you and make some positive changes in their lives! Thank you for your help/encouragement/guidance/advice! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete

Sunrise