Thursday, February 16, 2012

Clean Macaroni and Cheese

Confession: I LOVE pasta. I also LOVE cheese (and dairy products in general). Ipso  facto, I LOVE macaroni and cheese. 


I know, I know. That's not very health-minded of me. Not to mention the fact that it makes me sound a bit like a five year old. Nevertheless, can I get an amen? Really, let's think about it - how many people do you know that truly dislike macaroni and cheese? Far less than those who truly dislike brussel sprouts, I bet. 


I've always felt a bit guilty, though, when I indulge in all that creamy, cheesy goodness (unless, of course, I'm indulging in said side dish at Ajax in Oxford, MS. In that case, I'm just in heaven on earth). If you've ever shared this guilt with me, you'll enjoy the recipe listed below, which I've adapted from thegraciouspantry.com.

CLEAN MACARONI AND CHEESE
(Makes 2 servings)



Grab This:
2 cups cooked, whole grain pasta
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, lightly packed
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp. dried, ground mustard
1 tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour ( Regular whole wheat works as well)
1 tsp paprika (optional)
1 tsp pepper (optional)
Se salt to taste

Do This:
Step 1 – In a medium pot, warm the milk over medium heat. You want it hot, but not boiling.
Step 2 – Whisk in the paprika, pepper, and flour. Continue whisking for 2-3 minutes to be sure it’s well incorporated and doesn’t settle to the bottom.
 

Step 3 – Whisk in the mustard.
 

Step 4 – Remove pot from heat and stir in the cheese. Stir until completely melted and combined. If the cheese doesn’t melt enough, return pot to the stove over low to medium heat.
 
VERY IMPORTANT: Do NOT let the sauce boil. You only want the pot on the heat until the cheese is just melted. Then remove immediately.

Step 5 – Add salt to taste and pour sauce over your pasta.
                                                        

1 comment:

Sunrise