Friday, February 10, 2012

DETOX: Day 2 of 5




 My first mistake? Perusing the "Food and Drink" section of Pinterest while completing my first day of detox. I wasn't hungry before I logged on, but after several pins to my recipe board, my stomach started to make a few pleas. 


My first victory? Making it through DAY ONE of my 5-day detox!! I think I'll crack open a bottle of...ummm... all-natural green tea to celebrate! All in all, it wasn't so bad. Jen and I both agree that getting enough calories may be the hardest part of the whole thing. I rounded out yesterday with only about 1200 calories or so, a solid 300 calories less than I had hoped. 


The key to getting enough calories? I'm thinking it's going to be the natural whey protein and almonds. They are both "high" in calories and in their satiety level (meaning that they help make you feel full). I can't do too much more than two scoops of the whey protein per day, though; I'm already at the top of my recommendation for protein intake (who would have thought?).

Today, I have a new obstacle in store...I'm working out with Justin this afternoon! For the sake of transparency, I have to admit I'm a little nervous. It will be interesting to see whether or not this detox has a negative (or perhaps, positive) effect on my exercise, endurance, strength, etc. Stay tuned to find out! 


DAY TWO: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10

 TOTAL CALORIC INTAKE: 1,395 calories (we're getting closer!)

 
PRE-BREAKFAST
  • 1/2 cup natural oats
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk
  • 5 blueberries
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
NUTRITION: 323 calories, 71 g carbs, 8 g protein, 8 g fat, 8 g fiber



MEAL #1: WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE AND ALMONDS
  • 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk
  • 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop natural whey protein
  • 1/4 cup almonds 
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
NUTRITION: 350 calories, 17 g carbs, 23 g protein, 23 g fat, 9 g fiber 
 


MEAL #2: GREEN SMOOTHIE
    • 1 cup kale
    • 1 blood orange
    • 1 cup carrots
    • 1/2 cup brussel sprouts
    • 1 spear asparagus
    • 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
    • 1 cup almond milk
    • 1 scoop natural whey protein 
NUTRITION: 401 calories, 54 g carbs, 26 g protein, 10 g fat, 10 g fiber

MEAL #3: PURPLE SMOOTHIE
  • 1/2 cup cucumber
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1/2 cup carrots
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 blood orange
NUTRITION: 256 calories, 61 g carbs, 4.4 g protein, 4 g fat, 11 g fiber
So, what did I learn today? I don't really like the taste of carrots, even in a smoothie.

1 comment:

  1. So funny! I almost called you out for pinning recipes last night! I ALWAYS get so hungry doing that & I typically look at delicious recipes late at night. (Not a good combo!) Get it girls; I'm proud of you both! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sunrise